1. Introduction and General Terms
In order to provide you with the full range of HGN’s services, we sometimes need to collect information about you.
- What information HGN may collect about you;
- How HGN will use information we collect about you;
- When HGN may use your details to contact you;
- Whether HGN will disclose your details to anyone else;
- Your choices regarding the personal information you provide to us;
HGN websites contain hyperlinks to websites owned and operated by third parties. These third party websites have their own privacy policies, including cookies, and we urge you to review them. They will govern the use of personal information you submit or is collected by cookies whilst visiting these websites. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy practices of such third party websites and your use of such websites is at your own risk.
2. What information will HGN collect about me?
When you participate in, access or sign up to any of HGN’s services, activities or online content, such as The Great Collaboration Toolkit, newsletters, competitions, message boards, telephone or text HGN, vote or create an account using HGN’s online registration system we may receive personal information about you. This can consist of information such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone or mobile number or date of birth, depending on the activity.
By submitting your details, you enable HGN (and where applicable its contractors) to provide you with the services, activities or online content you select.
Please note that sometimes we will require you to provide additional personal information. Sometimes this may be sensitive personal information (e.g. if you’re sending in an application to be a contributor on a political party we may need to know your political leanings). When we do this we will provide further information as to why we are collecting your information. We will also provide information on how we will use it.
3. How will the HGN use the information they collect about me?
HGN will use your personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
- to provide our services, activities or online content and to deal with your requests and enquiries;
- for “service administration purposes”. This means that HGN may contact you for reasons related to the service, activity or online content you have signed up for. As set out in paragraph 4 below. For example, to provide you with password reminders or to notify you that a particular service, activity or online content has been suspended for maintenance;
- to contact you about a submission you have made, including any content you provide;
- to provide you with information about our services, activities or online content;
- personalising the way HGN content is presented to you;
- to analyse and improve the services offered on HGN’s websites;
- to provide you with the most user-friendly navigation experience. HGN may also use and disclose information in aggregate (so that no individuals are identified) for marketing and strategic development purposes.
Where HGN proposes using your personal information for any other uses we will ensure that we notify you first. You will also be given the opportunity to withhold or withdraw your consent for the use of your personal information for purposes other than those listed above.
4. When will HGN contact me?
HGN may contact you:
- in relation to any service, activity or online content you have signed up for in order to ensure that HGN can deliver the services to you;
- where you have opted to receive further correspondence;
- in relation to any contribution you have submitted to HGN. For example, on HGN message boards or via text or voicemail message;
- to invite you to participate in surveys about HGN’s services (participation is always voluntary); and
- for marketing purposes where you have specifically agreed to this (see paragraph 5 below).
Local pages will give you detailed information about how HGN will contact you in relation to specific services, activities or online content.
5. Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
HGN won’t contact you for marketing purposes. HGN will not promote new services, activities or online content to you unless you specifically agree to be contacted for these purposes.
6. Will HGN share my personal information with anyone else?
We will keep your information confidential except where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies) or as described in paragraph 7 below. Generally, we will only use your information within HGN. However, sometimes HGN uses third parties to process your information. HGN requires these third parties to comply strictly with its instructions. However, HGN requires that they do not use your personal information for their own business purposes. This is unless you have explicitly consented to the use of your personal information in this way.
7. Offensive or inappropriate content on the HGN website
If you post or send offensive, inappropriate or objectionable content anywhere on or to HGN’s websites or otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour on any of HGN’s services, HGN may use your personal information to stop such behaviour.
Where HGN reasonably believes that you are or may be in breach of any of the laws of England and Wales (or the law of Scotland if you live there) (e.g. because content you have posted may be defamatory), HGN may use your personal information to inform relevant third parties such as your employer, school email/internet provider or law enforcement agencies about the content and your behaviour.
8. What if I am a user aged 16 or under?
If you are aged 16 or under, please get your parent / guardian’s permission before you provide any personal information to HGN. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
9. How long will HGN keep my personal information?
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with HGN.
Where you contribute material to HGN we will generally only keep your content for as long as is reasonably required for the purpose(s) for which it was submitted.
10. Can I find out what personal information HGN holds about me?
Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to request a copy of the personal information HGN holds about you. You can request to have any inaccuracies corrected. (We charge £10 for information requests and require you to prove your identity with 2 pieces of approved identification). We will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files.
11. What if I am accessing HGN’s websites outside the UK?
12. Cookies Policy – Information HGN collects from you
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small amount of data. It often includes a unique identifier. This is sent to your computer or mobile phone (referred to here as a “device”) browser from a website’s computer and is stored on your device’s hard drive. Each website can send its own cookie to your browser if your browser’s preferences allow it. However, (to protect your privacy) your browser only permits a website to access the cookies it has already sent to you, not the cookies sent to you by other websites. Many websites do this whenever a user visits their website in order to track online traffic flows.
On HGN’s websites, cookies record information about your online preferences. This allows us to tailor the websites to your interests.
Users have the opportunity to set their devices to accept all cookies, to notify them when a cookie is issued, or not to receive cookies at any time. The last of these means that certain personalised features cannot then be provided to that user. As a result, they may not be able to take full advantage of all of the website’s features. Each browser is different, so check the “Help” menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.
Information supplied by cookies can help us to analyse the profile of our visitors. This helps us to provide you with a better user experience. For example, if on a previous visit you went to our education pages, we might find this out from your cookie. This would then highlight educational information on your second and subsequent visits.
Third Party Cookies on HGN pages
Please note that during your visits to HGN’s websites you may notice some cookies that are not related to the HGN or the HGN’s contractors. When you visit a page with content embedded from, for example, YouTube or Flickr, you may be presented with cookies from these websites. HGN does not control the dissemination of these cookies. You should check the third party websites for more information about these.
HGN cookies and how to reject cookies?
A list of the main cookies that HGN’s websites set (and what each is used for) together with ways to minimise the number of cookies you receive can be found at the HGN’s Cookie List and How To Reject Cookies.
The Data Protection Officer
Herefordshire Green Network